I dearly hope that new years are like March, or whichever month it is, where they come in like a lion and go out like a lamb. (Oh, I do hope this is coherent. I have a terrible cold at the moment and my brain is less that fully functional.) 2009 ended on about as many bad notes as it could possibly hit, so I’m hoping that 2010 will look up for me.
But the dawn of a new year, let alone a new decade, is no time for me to be pissing and moaning. So here are the triumphs of my year in review:
- Got my first acceptance
- Got my first rejection (and it did not come until after my first acceptance, so it’s a good thing, too)
- Received my first payment
- Attended Comic-Con for the first time (and saw Neil Gaiman in person for the first time, which can never be bad)
- Saw my name in print for the first time
- Got my first piece of fan mail
- Started and maintained a blog (the dismal month of December notwithstanding)
- Started a serial online
- Got registered with Web Fiction Guide
- Took a class in voice acting
Those are, I think, all the really big firsts of my year. I’m not very good at making resolutions for the new year. At least, not ones that stick. I started my reading challenge last month and look forward to a year of chattering about all those delicious books. Beyond that, I’m not sure what the coming year might hold for me.
But I know of at least a few things I would like to make happen. I would like to see more of my short stories floating out there for other to read. I have some plans to make that happen, which I’ll talk about as it happens. I would like to make a solid start on getting a novel published, which necessitates the other goal of finishing a novel — edits and all. I don’t know enough about how long it will take me to finish to be able to say, yes, I’ll have it sent out — or, heavens, sold — by the end of the year. But I can head in that direction. And of course, 2010 will see the completion of House of Cats, my biggest accomplishment to date.
I have big ideas for the coming year. I hope you do as well and I hope you achieve all your dreams and more besides. Best wishes for 2010, everyone.
Writing in a new year,